Once you determine the above we can assist you in selecting just the right size to suit your needs. We offer sizes from closet to garage.
- What size do I need?
- Do I have to sign a lease?
- When will my rent be due?
- Square vs. cubic footage?
- Do I need insurance?
- What amenities can I expect?
- When can I access my storageunit?
- What security measures do you have in place?
What size do I need?
- Do you need frequent, occassional or infrequent access?
- Determine what items you will be storing.
- Are you moving items from house, an apartment or an office?
- Do you have mostly boxed items or do need to include large piece of furniture as well?
- Are you storing seasonal decorations only?
- How easily will your items stack?
- Do you have appliances?
- Are you storing antique furniture or other vintage items?
Do I have to sign a lease?
Yes, however, the lease is month to month with a 30 day minimum. We pro-rate on both move-in and move-out with a 10 day move-out notice required. We do offer discounts for prepayment of rent of 6 months or more.
When will my rent be due?
All tenant’s rent is due the 1st of the month. We pro-rate your first month’s rent and there is a 10 day grace period before any late penalties are assessed per the California Self Storage Facilities Act and lien laws.
We offer convenient automatic monthly credit card billing and self-addressed envelopes if you wish to pay by check. And, we still accept cash in our office.
Square vs. Cubic footage
Our rates are based on square footage similar to the floor plan of your room(s) – width x length. When comparing to moving companies, they use cubic feet to fill all space in the truck so items won’t shift during travel, width x length x height i.e. 10’W x 10’ L = 100 square feet. 100 square feet x 8’ high = 800 cubic feet. We offer 10’ and 14’ ceilings but take into consideration our door width is smaller than the opening of a typical moving truck.
Do I need Insurance?
Insurance is your decision, as we do not require you to have it. You may want to contact your homeowners/renters policy to see if it covers stored items. We offer a storage insurance pamphlet with rates for your convenience if needed. Our lease states that our insurance does not cover the contents of any units and you must self insure if you want to be insured.
What amenities can I expect?
- Longer office and access hours than most storage facilities. Check our facilities features and hours page.
- Come to the office for coffee or tea, cookies, candy, bottled water and popcorn in the afternoon.
- Desk with computer to check or send your emails.
- Two clean and well maintained restrooms.
- Fax and Copy service.
- Cushy chairs in the office while you wait for your movers.
- Delivery acceptance service available, see one of our friendly staff.
When can I access my unit?
You may access your unit from 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m., with the last gate entry at 8:45 p.m. We are open seven days per week except eight major holidays when the facility is closed. We post those holidays at the gate and office. See our features & hours page.
What security measures do you have in place?
There's a main gate that is only opened by code from our tenants. In 2016, security enhancements have included rewiring many buildings and significantly upgrading to ultra bright high-efficiency, low consumption lighting. We have alarms on every unit door and security minded staff monitoring the facility. You may always check with the San Mateo Police Department to verify a facilities security record. We work very hard to keep All American Self Storage as safe as any facility can be.